The beginners course is designed to teach the basic skills of archery to those keen to try the sport. The course will allow you to sample target archery, field archery and clout.
We offer two courses each year in the spring, and they are suitable for people aged 12+ (under 18s must be accompanied by a responsible adult at all times while attending the course).
Instruction is given by experienced archers, and all equipment is provided by the club.
There is a charge for the course and the cost covers use of the club equipment, insurance and probationary membership of the club for the remainder of the year.
The course runs for a full day and the next course dates are 2nd May 2020 and 16th May 2020.
Please contact us on the following email address to find out more information, or to be added to the attendee list for one of the courses: [email protected]
The main objective of the course is to impart a basic level of recurve target archery skill, together with a clear understanding of safety issues and rules, and shooting etiquette, upon which the new archer can subsequently build their own individual style and develop their own technique.
The course includes the following topics:
- Safety Essentials & Clothing
- Warm Up Exercises
- Choosing the Dominant Eye and Which Hand to Shoot the Bow
- Parts of the Bow and Arrow
- Choosing the Correct Equipment
- Working with the Bow and Arrow
- Puttting Up and Stringing the Recurve Bow
- Shooting the Bow and Arrow
- How to Score
- Taking Bow Down and Packing Away Shooting Equipment
- Put Up/Take Down Bosses, Stands and Other Equipment
- Introduction to Field Archery
- Introduction to Clout Archery
Note: The above list may be varied on the day at the discretion of the lead trainer.